Tuesday, March 07, 2006

CARNIVALES!


Here in Bolivia it is tradition to celebrate a holiday called Carnivales. Now, the concept is similar to that of Mardi Gras in the States. It's celebrated the week before Lent begins and mostly serves as an excuse to go crazy before the strictness of Lent. Of course there is the usual partying and crazyness... but Bolivia takes it to another, very different level as well. This takes the form of a week-long, nationwide water fight! I really don't think I could accuately portray this event to you through words. It's something you definately have to experience to believe. Everyone travels the streets packing some serious heat. Some travel armed solely as a form of defense, but others travel well equipped to start a water war where ever they go. Now of course with any game, there are some general rules and regulations. Number 1 - Everyone is fair game EXCEPT old women and very small children... that is of course UNLESS they are carrying any form of ammo. Number 2 - All tourists and gringos are worth 3 points. Number 3 - All girls are especially targeted whether they are armed or not. Number 4 - Couples acting in a romatic matter will be shown NO mercy. Number 5 - No one can be trusted!
This event is quite serious. I was sufficiently wet for the majority of the week. I had witnessed some pretty intense stuff through the course of the week... but had chosen to avoid getting involved in any crazy wars. But... realizing that I would only be here once to experience this unique celebration, I decided to take part in a very serious battle on the last day of Carnivales. Ross, Rolando, and caught transportation down to the southern zone of the city to meet up with Jon. Jon was the veteran of the water balloons scene, especially in the southern zone. What happens is people gather on opposite sides of the main street and just unlease on eachother. Now, to throw a water balloon across 4 lanes of traffic, you gotta have some skill. Also, the balloon are unlike any others I've seen. They are only filled to about golf ball size and then tied incredibly tight. This allows for optimal distance, accuracy, and damage. In the heat of the battle, I was mostly standing in the back and observing the war... but casualties are inevitable in this environment. Although I realized what was about to happen, it all happened to fast for me to react in time. Just as a bus drove by, I saw the wind up. As soon as the bus passed, I saw a balloon headed right for me at about 70 mph. I could do nothing but anticipate the pain that would soon be felt. Within nanoseconds the balloon made impact with my stomach, creating a loud noise for all to hear. Everyone around turned to me in shock realizing the force of the blow. I keeled over in agony and wobbled behind a sign to take cover. The pain was pretty extreme and I would have a nice red welt on my stomach for the next 3 days! The Carnivales experience was definately crazy... but one that I'm glad I took part in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home