Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Final Thoughts

As you know, Bolivia holds a very special place in my heart. I love the people, the mountains, the culture, the music, and of course the llamas. As I embarked on my 6 month internship with Youth for Christ in La Paz, I had all kinds of wonderful expectations for my time in Bolivia. Looking back over my time in La Paz, it was an incredible experience, but one that was very different from the picture that I had painted in my head.

Personally, it is very difficult for me to express my thoughts and feelings in words. Since I've returned to Colorado, I can't tell you how many times I've recieved the same questions - "How was your trip?" "What did you do?" "What did you learn?" "What did God teach/show you?" I knew these questions would be challenging to answer, but I expected them to get easier by about the 50th time.

About a week after I returned home, my friend Steph and I took a much needed spiritual retreat to the mountains. Steph is a college friend of mine that had spent the semester studying in Hawaii and then spent the summer working with a mission organization called 'Surfing the Nations' in Hawaii and Indonesia. I knew that as soon as we got thrown back into our daily American routines, it would be very difficult to find the time we needed to reflect on our experiences in the mission field. I also know that I am much more productive and motivated if I have a friend to spur me on. So Steph and I headed to the mountains to rest in the the Lord and search our hearts for the insights and lessons that we needed to take away from our experiences. Here are some of the highlights of my reflection time.

Things I have learned through my experience in missions:
1. God doesn't need me.
- He can accomplish anything he wants and he doesn't need our help.
- I need to trust in this truth and the incredible power that God has to change hearts.
- I am honored that he chose me to be his warrior in Bolivia.
2. There are many different ways to share the gospel.
- The most effective way for me - Getting to know people, sharing life with them, living my life as an example, being real and loving toward my friends, being ready to talk about Christ as they learn how important He is in my life.
3. I may never see the fruits of my labor.
- It was difficult to see the results of our service in Bolivia.
- But what's important is that I followed Christ and his call to serve Him.
- God will cultivate the harvest from the seeds that have been planted.

How can I work my new insights and values into my life back home?
1. Be very intentional about queiet time and prayer.
2. Make relationships a priority.
3. Challenge myself to be bold - lead bible studies, small groups, discussions.
4. Be generous with my time and money.

Things that I am grateful to God for doing during my time in Bolivia.
1. Beth accepting Christ on the Project Serve trip.
2. Sparking curiosity for Christ in the shoe shiners.
3. Ismael's nephew healed from internal injuries.
4. Ramiro and Ismael believing in the power of prayer.
5. Stretching me to lead a shoe shiner church.
6. Speaking into my parents' lives during their visit.
7. Relationships with the girls at Shalom - Karina, Rosmary, Yustin, Jasmin.

I am still trying to process all that happened in Bolivia and I am still trying to listen to what the Lord wants me to take away from this experience. I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve. It challenged me in so many ways. I can't wait for the day that I can return to Bolivia, but right now I am excited for how God will use me and challenge me in the mission field of Boulder, Colorado.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for remembering me, i remember you and all the fun times digging up rocks. <3 in Cristo

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for remembering me, i remember you and all the fun times digging up rocks. <3 in Christ,
Beth

6:04 PM  
Blogger litespeed said...

I love you, sis!

4:43 PM  
Blogger litespeed said...

Rereading this post has really spoken into my life, trying to have a relationship with God and being His missionary in Boulder. Thank you!

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home